Monday, September 21, 2009

Counseling

I want to talk a little about counseling and the role it has played in my recovery.

My husband and I met with an LDS counselor early on in the hopes that it would help us through our difficult experience. This individual pushed a certain book I had felt distinctly that I should not read. We left very discouraged and disheartened. Where were we to go for help?

After several months, I felt very prompted to seek counseling help again. I was very stuck in the depression stage of grieving and didn't know how to get out of it myself. Through my medical providers, I was referred to a different counselor. I was so nervous and quite skeptical, but I went anyway. That visit was the start of a wonderful, productive relationship that helped me in countless ways. I received individual counseling almost weekly for about four months. What a tremendous blessing that was for me.

I am NOT saying that LDS counselors are not helpful. What I AM saying is that there is not one path or cookie cutter way for everyone through this experience. The spirit told me strongly not to read the book the counselor required. The spirit also told me not to attend our local 12 step recovery support group which this counselor strongly encouraged as well. I do not discount or discredit any of these inspired pathways for help, but I do attest to the fact that Heavenly Father knows us individually. He can help us individually. We are responsible to listen to the guidance and direction of the spirit and act accordingly. He knows better than anyone else what and WHO we need in our lives right now.

For ME, it was incredibly helpful to have a counselor who did not share my religious beliefs who could help me work through my psychological issues completely separately from my spiritual concerns. Rest assured that during that time I was counseling regularly with my Bishop. He was key for me. He gave me inspired insight and direction that I knew He could give because of the keys he held and the stewardship he had over me that no one else could offer. Both of those individuals have been incredibly helpful for me in my healing process.

Now my husband and I are participating in couple's counseling - again with a non-LDS counselor. This counselor has been objective, direct and incredibly helpful. We felt specifically led to him and thank our Heavenly Father often for righteous, educated people who are not of our faith. We continue to work individually and together as a couple on our spiritual strength. This is key in the healing process. We have felt the continued love and support of righteous Priesthood leaders, grateful they have not insisted we walk the road that has worked for others of LDS counselors and 12 step support groups.

Heavenly Father is our Father. He knows us. He knows what we need. Trust Him. Follow the promptings you receive immediately and specifically. Especially when they don't seem to make sense. This journey has been an exercise in faith for me to the fifth degree. But Father has never left me comfortless.

No comments:

Post a Comment