Friday, December 26, 2008

Purpose in the Pain

There are two overriding emotions that keep surfacing that are being seared into my heart and soul. Compassion and sharing the gospel.

I see people differently now. Any trace of judgment or self-righteousness I had been selfishly hanging onto has been purged with fire from my heart. I find myself wanting, needing to be with others who are lonely, hurting or in need. Not so I can share my misery with theirs and wallow in it, but so I can bring some sense of comfort and compassion to them. I see homeless men on the street and cry, wanting to do something for them. I look at others and wonder if they're lonely or hurting or in need. I understand now why the Savior surrounded himself with those people during His earthly ministry. He had genuine compassion and love for them.

I need to share the good news of the gospel - to declare the mercy and merits of the Savior to everyone around me. I feel such a burning desire to share the gospel that I have never experienced before. I feel the need to be bold in my testimony, to not fear offense or judgment, but to state clearly what I believe and know. I feel the overarching need to bring others to the Lord. He is the way, the truth and the light.

So perhaps there is some purpose to my pain. Perhaps Heavenly Father knew what He needed me to become and is allowing me to suffer to truly change my heart.

Proverbs 3:5-6

No comments:

Post a Comment